In terms of lubricating and caulking various equipment and automotive parts, silicone lubricant spray is probably one of the best go-to household products. It is a water-resistant and non-reactive product that works well in keeping many surfaces well-lubricated and protected from rust. What exactly is a silicone lubricant spray and how does it perform its wonders?
Silicone lubricant spray is a substance derived from silicone. Silicone is a polymer produced by a combination of silicon atoms and oxygen atoms. Silicone exists in many forms that are used for a variety of purposes such as prosthetics, body implants, sealant, adhesive, insulator, and lubricant. In particular, the silicone liquid oil is used in spray lubricant, while the silicone resin and silicone rubber are used as caulk.
Characteristics of Silicone Spray
Silicone liquid oil is particularly useful as a lubricant because of its best qualities. Turning it into a spray makes it even more efficient.
Silicone lubricant spray is very slippery, non-reactive to most substances, can maintain its greasiness despite extreme temperature variations, and does not oxidize. In low temperatures, silicone spray can be used on car handles and hinges to keep them from freezing. Even rusted locks can be sprayed with silicone spray to loosen their internal mechanism.
In addition, silicone lubricant spray is water-resistant, so it can protect objects from moisture. It also has retardant properties that keep automotive and marine metals from accruing rust. Silicone spray easily creeps into locks, clocks, hinges, bearings, and internal gun parts to keep them working smoothly.
These characteristics of silicone lubricant spray make it a necessary product to be used in garages or workshops. On the other hand, read this post if you want to know the best tips for cleaning your car.
When Not to Use Silicone Spray
Just like any other substance, there are conditions in which you should avoid using silicone lubricant spray. Take note of the following conditions when planning to use this product.
- Never use silicone spray on electrical connections, switches, relays, etc. because it can cause contact problems, which further result in faulty circuits. Other solutions can be used for protecting electrical connections.
- Never use silicone spray on any surface where you will walk, sit, or lay. Silicone spray is so slippery that it will make you slide off easily. You don’t want to injure yourself.
- Never use silicone spray on painted surfaces because the silicone will be absorbed by the paint which will become more onerous than normal.
- Never use silicone spray on handles such as the outside of a gun, fishing rod, and doorknob.
Things to Consider When Buying Silicone Spray
Silicone spray does not always come as an all-purpose solution. There is a specific mix designed for every situation. Therefore, you must know how to find the best silicone spray for your needs. Below are the things you need to consider when buying silicon spray.
- Application. You must consider whether you want your silicone spray to be a strictly household product or a handy one that you can carry in your car anytime and anywhere you go. You might also want a silicone spray that has a straw so you can precisely apply the solution on narrow spots.
- Form. Silicone spray comes in two forms: wet and dry. The wet spray is best used for vertical surfaces, while the dry spray is ideal for more sensitive equipment.
- Formula. Check whether you need a silicone spray that contains a higher amount of silicone. Heavily-used joints and machinery typically require high silicone sprays. Check also if the formula of your silicone spray is suited for the surface you want it to apply on.
- Food Grade. Silicone spray can only be used on kitchen tools and appliances if it is food-grade, meaning it is not absorbed by food. However, being food-grade does not mean that silicone spray is edible so make sure no one ingests this solution.
- Temperature Resistance. The surface you need silicone to spray-on might be used with varying temperatures, so make sure that your spray can withstand these changes. For instance, you might want to apply silicone spray on grills which increases in temperature when used. In this case, you need to choose a spray that does not burn even at high temperatures. Even silicone sprays used on windows or doors need to be carefully chosen because of changing seasonal temperatures.
- Drying Time. The rate at which silicone sprays dry depends on their viscosity, the material they are used on, and the amount of spray applied. It may also depend on the number of flammable components mixed with the spray to help it dry faster. If you will spray silicone on products that you need to use immediately such as appliances, doors, etc., a fast-drying silicone spray is suitable for this job. However, for products that need waterproofing or sealing, a silicone spray that cures after at least 24 hours is ideal.
- Versatility. Versatility refers to whether your spray can be used for lubricating, sealing, or both. If you want an all-purpose silicone spray, make sure to find one that can be used on different surfaces such as wood, metal, plastic, rubber, and vinyl.
Silicone lubricant spray is reliable as a household product that you can use to maintain your home appliances and other equipment. Make sure that you know when not to apply this solution and what to consider when buying one for your everyday use.